This blog is devoted to my architectural sketching adventures and musings about the integration of architecture and sketching.
I hope not only to share my own on-location architectural sketches but provide tips and methodologies for sketching and understanding architecture.
Also, most importantly, I wish to explore ways in which, in a digital age, we can not only defend but
promote freehand sketching within the architectural profession.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Architectural Note Taking Sketching

120410 Lutyens- A tangent
Lutyens - A tangent
120410 Sanmicheli- A tangent to my tangent
Snmichele - a tangent to a tangent!

Two quick note-taking sketches from the weekend... I read a great quote and wonder what building it refers to...I look up a few books from my library(a building I know little about) and it was influenced by another building (which I know even less about) so I look that up.... 10 books off the shelf now... where is the book I started reading???

The point of these sketches is to sketch as quickly as I can (so I can get back to reading my book) and also by the act of sketching to remember the important features of the building I was researching.

By the way, the book that I started to re-read (which started this adventure) for the 10th time is
The Classical Language of Architecture by John Summerson.
The BEST book that I read in my early years as an architecture student and a book that I would recommend to anyone to read who wants an introduction to Classical Architecture. I owe a lot to that book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin